Tips for Buying New Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floors are undoubtedly one of the most attractive flooring options you can buy for your home. It scratches less easily than other types of flooring, is produced using renewable resources, and looks fabulous on top of that. But before you make the investment to purchase new hardwood floors for your house, there are a few things to keep in mind.
What are the benefits of hardwood floors?
There are many benefits of hardwood floors. They are easy to keep clean and free of allergens, they don’t harbor dust mites or other pests, and they’re durable and long-lasting. Hardwood floors also add value to your home and can be refinished if they become scratched or damaged.
Is it worth it to buy new hardwood floors?
The debate of whether or not to buy new hardwood floors is one that has gone on for years. Some people swear by the durability and beauty of hardwood floors, while others find them to be a pain to keep up. If you’re considering purchasing new hardwood floors, there are a few things you should take into account before making your decision.
The first thing to consider is the cost. Hardwood floors can be quite expensive, depending on the type of wood and the quality of the flooring. If you’re on a tight budget, you may want to reconsider your options. However, if you have the money to spend, hardwood floors can add value to your home and last for many years with proper care.
Another thing to think about is the amount of maintenance required. Hardwood floors need to be cleaned and polished regularly in order to maintain their luster. This can be time-consuming and may not be ideal if you have a busy lifestyle. If you’re willing to put in the work, however, hardwood floors can provide a stunning look for your home that will last for decades.
So, is it worth it to buy new hardwood floors? Ultimately, the decision comes down to personal preference and your budget. If you have the money to spend and don’t mind putting in some extra work, hardwood floors can add beauty and value to your home.
When should I replace my hardwood floors?
If your hardwood floors are starting to show signs of wear and tear, it may be time to start thinking about replacing them. Here are a few things to look for that could indicate it’s time for new hardwood floors:
Scratches, dents, or other surface damage: Over time, your hardwood floors will inevitably start to show some wear and tear. If the damage is superficial, you may be able to refinish your floors to restore them to their original condition. However, if the damage is more extensive, replacement may be your best option.
- Buckling or warping: If your hardwood floors are buckling or warping, it’s a sign that they’re no longer properly attached to the subfloor. This can be caused by moisture exposure or changes in humidity levels. Once again, refinishing may be an option if the damage is minor. However, if the buckling or warping is severe, you’ll need to replace your floors.
- Excessive noise: If your hardwood floors creak or make other noises when walked on, it could be a sign that they’ve become loose over time. This is usually due to normal wear and tear but can also be caused by changes in temperature or humidity levels. In most cases, you can fix this problem by having your floors professionally refinished.
If you’re not sure whether you should refinish or replace your hardwood floors, it’s always best to consult with a professional. They can assess the condition of your floors and help you make the best decision for your home.
Do I have to refinish the old floor before installing the new one?
If you’re planning on installing new hardwood floors, you may be wondering if you need to refinish the old floor first. The answer is: it depends. If your old floor is in good condition and you’re happy with the way it looks, then there’s no need to refinish it. However, if the old floor is in poor condition or you simply want a fresh start, then refinishing it first is a good idea.
Refinishing your old floor before installing the new one has a few benefits. First, it will give you a chance to repair any damage that may have been done over the years. Second, it will allow you to sand down the surface and create a smooth foundation for the new flooring. And third, it will give your home an updated look that will be sure to impress guests.
Of course, refinishing your old floor can be a bit of a project. If you’re not comfortable taking on the task yourself, there’s no shame in hiring a professional to do it for you. But if you are up for the challenge, follow these tips and you’ll be able to refinish your old floor like a pro:
- Start by sanding down the surface of the floor with coarse-grit sandpaper. This will help create a smooth foundation for the new flooring.
- Once you’ve finished sanding, vacuum up all of the dust and debris from the surface of the floor.
- Next, apply a thin layer of wood filler to any cracks or holes in the floor. Use a putty knife to spread the filler evenly and then let it dry.
- Once the filler is dry, sand it down until it’s flush with the surface of the floor.
- Now you’re ready to stain or paint the floor. If you’re going with a dark stain, apply a pre-stain conditioner to the floor first. This will help ensure that the stain takes evenly.
- After you’ve stained or painted the floor, apply a clear coat of polyurethane to protect it from wear and tear.
- Finally, install your new hardwood floors!
How do I determine how much new hardwood flooring I need?
When you’re shopping for new hardwood floors, one of the first things you need to do is figure out how much flooring you need. This can be a tricky task, but with a few simple steps, you can get an accurate estimate.
Start by measuring the length and width of the room or rooms where you plan to install the new floors. Then, convert those measurements to square footage. To do this, multiply the length by the width. For example, if your room is 10 feet long and 12 feet wide, your square footage would be 120.
Once you have your square footage, add up the totals for all of the rooms where you’ll be installing new hardwood floors. This will give you your total square footage needed.
Now that you know your total square footage, take a look at the product packaging to find out how much coverage each plank or carton of flooring provides. This will vary depending on the product, so make sure to check before making your purchase.
Once you have that information, simply divide your total square footage by the amount of coverage provided by each plank or carton to determine how many you need to buy. For example, if each carton covers 20 square feet and your total square footage is 400, you would need 20 cartons of flooring to complete your project.
What other factors besides sanding and finishing are involved in getting a new floor installed?
There are a few other factors to keep in mind when getting new hardwood floors installed. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure the subfloor is in good condition. If there are any cracks or damaged areas, these will need to be repaired before the new floor can be installed.
- The type of flooring you choose will also affect the installation process. Solid hardwood floors will need to be nailed down, while engineered floors can be glued or floated.
- If you’re opting for a prefinished floor, make sure the manufacturer’s warranty is still valid. Otherwise, you may have to pay for any repairs or replacement out of pocket.
Tips for buying new hardwood floors.
When it comes to hardwood floors, there are a few things you should keep in mind before making your purchase. Here are a few tips to help you buy the best hardwood floors for your home:
- Decide on the type of hardwood flooring you want. There are a few different types of hardwood floors available on the market, so it’s important to decide which one is right for your home. Do you want solid hardwood floors or engineered hardwood floors?
- Consider the cost of hardwood floors. Hardwood floors can be quite expensive, so it’s important to factor in the cost when making your decision. Are you willing to spend more for high-quality hardwood floors?
- Choose the right style of hardwood flooring for your home. There are many different styles of hardwood floors available, so it’s important to choose one that will complement your home’s existing décor. Do you want a classic look or something more modern?
- Keep in mind the installation process. Installing hardwood floors can be difficult and time-consuming, so it’s important to factor in the installation process when making your decision. Are you willing to hire a professional installer or do it yourself?
- Think about maintenance and care. Hardwood floors require regular cleaning and maintenance, so it’s important to factor in these costs when making your decision. Are you willing to put in the time and effort
Interested in New Flooring? Shop Flooring Source of Texas!
If you’re looking for a new type of flooring that will add personality and style to your home, hardwood may be a perfect choice. Not only is it durable and easy to care for, but it can also give your room a unique look. In this article, we’ll explore some of the newer types of hardwood flooring that are available on the market today, and explain why they might be a good fit for you.
Flooring Source of Texas is a family-owned and operated business that has been servicing customers for over 33 years. We understand the importance of home modernization and we aim to meet your needs in effectively installing your choice of flooring.
We offer flooring installation and remodeling. Our flooring product line includes hardwood, laminate, tile, vinyl, and carpet. Flooring Source of Texas completes free estimates for customers and we offer installation at a fair price. We will meet and beat any written estimate! Call us today at (972) 778-6855 or schedule your free estimate online!